Which WeChat articles by overseas tourism destinations got the most views in 2018? Here are the top 10 most-viewed articles by national, regional or municipal tourism boards published on WeChat this year. The ranking is based on the number of views the article received the week it was published, but we’ve also checked how many views each article has racked up since then.
The destinations were geographically spread out, from popular Hong Kong to up-and-coming Kenya, and the only accounts to make it to the top 10 list with more than one article were the Tourism Authority of Thailand (Shanghai Office) and Visit Korea.
Article topics varied significantly, but a number of them feature many images of beautiful landscapes, and famous personalities — including Chinese actors, Korean boy bands and Norwegian royalty — all attracted WeChat users’ attention.
10. Tourism New Zealand, “Hello, I’m New Zealand,” 32,122 views for the week of March 19-25 (43,010 as of December 27)
9. Destination Canada, “Journey across Canada by VIA Rail Canada,” 32,478 views for the week of October 29 to November 4 (41,114 views as of December 27)
8. Dubai Tourism, “Explore Dubai with Deng Chao,” 32,748 views for the week of September 17-23 (35,075 views as of December 27)
7. Visit Korea, “Top restaurants in South Korea to spot your celebrity idols,” 34,122 views for the week of September 17-23 (38,585 views as of December 27)
6. Hong Kong Tourism Board, “Hong Kong’s Arts Month starts in March,” 37,707 views for the week of February 26 to March 4 (45,603 as of December 27)
5. Visit Norway, “Norwegian King Harald and Queen Sonja will visit China,” 42,908 views for the week of October 8-14 (46,295 views as of December 27)
4. Kenya Tourism Board, “There are no words to describe this video about Kenya,” 46,137 views for the week of March 26 to April 1 (59,291 views as of December 27)
3. Tourism Authority of Thailand – Shanghai Office, “Thailand temporarily waives visa-on-arrival fee,” 58,629 views for the week of November 5-11 (61,109 views as of December 27)
2. Visit Korea, “Say goodbye to 2018, take a quiz with EXO to win new year gifts,” 63,232 views for the week of December 10-16 (100,000+ views* as of December 27)
1. Tourism Authority of Thailand – Shanghai Office, “Leave a comment to win free return tickets to Thailand,” 100,000+ views* for the week of November 26 to December 2 (TAT Chengdu also got 44,304 views for the same post)
*Please note that the highest number of views counted by WeChat is 100,000.